Tuesday, July 22, 2008

One Night in Bangkok...

We're now at the tail end of our 2nd day in Bangkok, and boy what a difference. Don't get me wrong, Delhi had a lot of interesting sights and was definitely an experience and a half, however, it's one of those places that looks best in your rear view mirror - in short, 4 days was plenty.


Bangkok is great, and we are having a blast here so far. It's a nice mix of tight-knit, small-village bungalow-type neighborhoods (i.e. location of our lovely, yet very down to earth Riverview Guest House, thanks to the good recommendation of Rebecca & Maggie who stayed there back in 2000 - the picture below is from our room's balcony) and modern, cosmopolitan areas filled with New York-style skyscrapers and many other Western reminders.

On the day of our arrival, after taking a bit of a catnap since our flight arrived at 5am, we took the often-used Riverboat Express up the river and back to soak in the city - here's a couple of the pictures we took from the boat:


Since then, we have been to countless "Wats" or Buddhist temples (such as the Wat Phram Kaew shown below), strolled through Chinatown and various other of the many many markets in this town (which of course, Mary Beth loves) and walked around various other areas, such as the backpacker friendly Khaosan Rd.


So far, the rains have been nice & hard, but short-natured luckily, mainly lasting only 1 hour at around 7 to 8pm each evening. Tomorrow, we embark on a 5 hour bike tour to see some of the less touristy areas of the city. . . shockingly, I couldn't convince Mary Beth to go to the Snake Farm with me.

4 comments:

Deanna said...

Looks like you two are having a great time. I can't wait to hear how Mary Beth enjoys the hour bike tour. Take care. xoxo Deanna

Joe and Camille said...

Oh my gosh, I LOVE IT! I'm so jealous...I know I shouldn't be, but I am! It looks amazing...everywhere you're going! Keep 'em coming and keep safe! Love Camille -

Chris and Mary Beth said...

One hour bike tour.....NOOOOOOOOO It was actually a 5 hour tour....

Suzanne Wingo said...

Your blog is so much fun! I can't wait to compare notes when I get back from Thailand, Cambodia, and Vietnam!